373 North L Street, Livermore, CA 94551

Feb 23, 2022

Things to Ask your Pleasanton Estate Planning Attorney

Lawyer look at his laptop

You want to get the best possible legal representation when it comes to estate planning, and that means asking the right initial questions when looking for an estate lawyer. They should be able to answer any questions you might have about what to do with your assets and property in the event of your death. Whether you’re taking care of a spouse, children, parents, or siblings, many important considerations need to be addressed before taking the final step. We put together this list of essential questions so you can find one who will help protect your loved ones and property.

List of Contents

How do I make my will??

One of the first questions to ask an estate planning attorney is how to make a will. Every adult needs to have a will, as it provides them with control over what happens to their assets and property in the event of their death. A will doesn’t require any special language, so it’s easy for anyone to create one. The process of creating a will varies depending on where you live and what type of property or assets you want to include in it. You can also choose whether or not you want your will probated (i.e., reviewed by legal authorities).

What should I put in my will?

The will is an essential part of estate planning, but you should also have a living will. This can help your family decide what to do if you cannot communicate your wishes. They must know the type of life-sustaining medical treatment you would want in certain circumstances. It’s also important to name an executor or trustee for your estate. If there are any specific charitable organizations you would like to benefit, be sure to include them in your will, so they’ll be notified after your death.

What should I put in my will if I have children? 

If you have children and wish to provide for them, a will ensures this will happen. This often means they will have a certain amount of your property or a set amount of money at a certain age, or instantly. It also might mean that if a house is to be sold upon your death, the property earnings would be set up in a trust for their benefit.

What should I put in my will if I have a spouse or partner? 

One of the most common and important questions people ask is how to legally distribute their property and assets if they have a spouse or partner. Are they entitled to half of everything? Are they entitled to spousal support? What about the house? These are all valid questions. An estate lawyer can help you figure out what you should put in your will, which would state how you want your property or capital distributed after your death. 

Ready to get started

If you want to create a legally binding will that protects your loved ones in the event of your death, then it’s a good idea to hire a local estate planning attorney. You’re thinking about your future, and an experienced estate planning attorney can help you create legally sound documents. Get started today by contacting Lewman Law at (925) 447-1250.

Share your views

About John Lewman