Surprises happen all the time in life, so it’s important to prepare for them now with the help of an estate litigation lawyer. How your estate is distributed and managed after you die can significantly impact your loved ones. If you don’t plan ahead, the distribution of your estate could be left to chance and could cause issues for your family. Read on to learn how an estate litigation attorney near me can help you today.
List of Contents
Why would you need an estate litigation attorney?
There are many reasons you need an estate litigation attorney. You might need one if you want to create a will or trust, for instance. If you’re going to distribute your estate in a certain way, an estate litigation attorney can help. They can also stop creditors from reaching your assets after death and protect the interests of your heirs.
What does an estate litigation attorney do?
An estate litigation attorney helps to ensure that your wishes are carried out. After you die, your documents will be reviewed. An estate litigation attorney will advise the executor on the best way to distribute your assets. The executor is responsible for distributing your assets according to your instructions. This is whether it’s through a will or trust.
The counsel of an estate litigation attorney can help you avoid some issues that may arise after somebody dies. For example, if you leave behind a spouse and children but no will or trust, the law would dictate how your assets are distributed. If there is no will or trust, the court may not award everything to the spouse and instead divide it between all heirs.
If you have children from previous relationships who were adopted by their step-parents, they may not receive anything if there is no will or trust in place. For this reason, couples need to create a formalized estate plan with an estate litigation attorney.
It’s also important to know what happens if you don’t have an estate advisor in place. This could result in costly mistakes like losing access to retirement funds or selling property at a loss because of poor timing.
How can an estate litigation attorney help you and your family after death?
An estate litigation attorney can help ensure that your wishes are followed and that your family doesn’t have to deal with any messes after your death. Your estate litigation attorney can:
1. Help you plan for the distribution of your assets and property.
2. Make sure that the terms of any trusts or wills are followed, even if you change them later on.
3. Explain the best ways for you to keep control over your assets while still ensuring that they’ll be distributed in a way you approve of if you become incapacitated.
4. Keep an eye on all documents on behalf of your heirs so that they don’t need to worry about anything after you pass away.
5. Deal with probate court proceedings if necessary or desired. This included filing a petition after a loved one dies or requesting a judge’s declaration of heirship and administration of the estate. This is known as a petition for appointment of an executor or administrator in some states.
Hire Estate Litigation Experts from Lewman Law
Preparing for death is an important step for any family to take. An estate litigation attorney can help your family navigate through the legal process to avoid the stress of having to do it alone. Don’t hesitate to call us today if you have any questions or want to start the process.